(Nassau, Bahamas) – The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA)  has released the following shelter list for North, Central and South Eleuthera, inclusive of Spanish Wells and Harbour Island.  The 2017 hurricane season which started on June 1st runs through to November 30th.

Last year produced 5 land-falling storms, including Matthew that caused $10 billion in damage and killed 34 people in the U.S. and 551 in the Caribbean. It was one of the deadliest Atlantic hurricanes on record." title="Last year produced 5 land-falling storms, including Matthew that caused $10 billion in damage and killed 34 people in the U.S. and 551 in the Caribbean. It was one of the deadliest Atlantic hurricanes on record. (NOAA)
Last year produced 5 land-falling storms, including Matthew that caused $10 billion in damage and killed 34 people in the U.S. and 551 in the Caribbean. It was one of the deadliest Atlantic hurricanes on record. (NOAA)

Forecasters at NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center say the Atlantic could see another above-normal hurricane season this year. For the upcoming Atlantic hurricane season, forecasters predict a 45 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 35 percent chance of a near-normal season, and only a 20 percent chance of a below-normal season.
DESIGNATED HURRICANE SHELTER LISTING 2017 – District: North Eleuthera District


  1. Purplemae Restaurant
  2. Wesley Methodist Church
  3. Trinity City of Praise Centre
  4. Mission Church of God
  5. Peoples Haitian Baptist Church
  6. John Wesley Methodist Church

DESIGNATED HURRICANE SHELTER LISTING 2016 – District: North Eleuthera District (Harbour Island)

  1. Lighthouse Church of God Harbour Island
  2. Wesley Methodist Church Harbour Island

DESIGNATED HURRICANE SHELTER LISTING 2017 – District: South Eleuthera District

  1.  Rock Sound Primary School
  2. Green Castle Primary School
  3. Wemyss Bight Primary School
  4. Deep Creek Middle School
  5. Bannerman Town & John Miller’s Community Library

DESIGNATED HURRICANE SHELTER LISTING 2017 – District: Current, Current Island & Spanish Wells

  1. The Current Community Centre
  2. Zion Methodist Church

DESIGNATED HURRICANE SHELTER LISTING 2017 – District: Central Eleuthera District

  1. The Resource Centre
  2. The Salvation Army
  3. Church of the Nazarene
  4. Governor’s Harbour Primary School
  5. Camp Symonette
  6. St. Mark’s Native Baptist Church
  7. Cambridge Villas