img_0380(Eleuthera, Bahamas)  At around 1:45am on the morning of Thursday, October 13th, 2016, A fire broke out in the home of a resident of Cupid’s Cay, Governors Harbour.

Mr. Kingsley Bethel, the owner of the home later during the morning sat with neighbors, visibly shaken and still in shock. He described hearing a popping and crackling sound and said he had only the opportunity to grab his vehicle keys and one other item before having to escape from the building with his life as flames engulfed the structure.


He believes the cause of the fire may have been an electrical shortage.  After hearing the popping sounds, he said, “After I checked it, I came outside and turned the (electrical panel box) switch off, and by the time I got back in the door, the only thing I could do was grab the keys for my bus and my cell phone.”

The fire engine being housed in Palmetto Point was said to have arrived on scene, however, they reportedly had a challenge and were unable to assist. Nevertheless, Mr. Bethel described neighbors getting together and helping with the traditional human chain and bucket method, until the fire engine from Tarpum Bay arrived, which saved a nearby building, however, the home was completely destroyed.

Mr. Bethel, still taking in the reality of what had happened, shared, “Right now it’s still settling in… but to God be the glory.  I had a lot of people come to my rescue last night, for which I’m thankful.”

Cupid's Cay home destroyed by fire.
Cupid’s Cay home destroyed by fire.
Still smouldering room inside Mr. Bethel's home.
Still smouldering room inside Mr. Bethel’s home.
Completely burnt door structure in front of the destroyed home.
Completely burnt door structure in front of the destroyed home.
Smaller damaged building adjacent to Mr. Bethel's home.
Smaller damaged building adjacent to Mr. Bethel’s home.
Home completely destroyed by fire.
Home completely destroyed by fire.
Home completely destroyed by fire.
Home completely destroyed by fire.
Actively smouldering room in home destroyed by fire during the early morning hours on Thursday, October 13th, 2016.
Actively smouldering room in home destroyed by fire during the early morning hours on Thursday, October 13th, 2016.